Monday, September 26, 2011

Getting a taste of being a workin mama!

So for the last two weeks, I have been working almost everyday as a substitute at my old school. Now, obviously, as a stay at home mom I "work" everyday but you know what I mean!
It definitely has been tough. When the alarm went off the first couple of days, it didn't bother me. But by the 4th or 5th day? Groan.
Luckily, Bill has been able to drop Callie off at our day care in the mornings, so I didn't have to work that into my morning schedule. Otherwise I probably would have to get up at 5, not 6!
But by the time I am done for the day I am definitely excited to see my girl. I do think about her throughout the day, when I get some down time. By the time I get her home, I am pretty much toast. It is exhausting. I am used to the physical exhaustion of dealing with a toddler all day, but the mental exhaustion from work and being "on" all day is really tough. There usually is some downtime when I stay at home with Callie while she naps, but usually by the time I pick her up she has already napped so I am out of luck! There has definitely been a fair amount of Elmo watching going on in the early evenings when we have both had it!
I am not at my best with Callie by the time  Bill gets home, to be sure. And forget making dinner! There has been quite a bit of takeout and leftovers in our house lately. This week I am trying to be better about it, but its hard. The good news is that after this week I just have some sporadic sub dates planned in october and one in november.
So hats off to you workin mamas. I don't know how you do it! And I don't even have to worry about grading with being a sub. It makes me glad that I decided not to go back full time after all! The break from toddler craziness is nice though. And it has been wonderful to be able to spend time with my friends, people that I don't necessarily get to see very often. And it is so wonderful to be able to have uninterrupted conversations! What a luxury!
It is definitely giving me a lot to think about for our plans for next year.

1 comment:

  1. The fact that you have any energy with being a full-time mom is incredible to me. I am very happy to see you working too though. Teaching is part of who you are.

    ReplyDelete