Tuesday, November 8, 2011

2nd Time Around

I get asked a lot, "So how is it the second time around?" referring of course, to my second pregnancy. Well, the first trimester was a lot more challenging the second time around. When you have a toddler around you don't have the luxury of taking a nap when you want to. I had a lot more nausea this time as well.
But I would say after the first trimester was over, things have been much simpler this time around. For some reason the time seems to go faster, maybe because I am trying to keep up with a very active toddler. I am also a lot more relaxed about the dos and don'ts. I'm not as worried about eating the wrong foods. Now that's not to say that I'm eating pickles for breakfast. Quite the opposite. Because I don't want junk in the house for Callie to eat, I don't tend to eat it either. But I don't freak out at having a little bit of deli meat (I just can't say no to salami for some reason!) or soft cheese. Is it a risk? Of course. But not the biggest in the world. I am careful about where I am getting said foods.

Another nice thing is not being so freaked out about the big day. The first time around with Callie, I was totally petrified of labor and birth. So much so, that I spent far more time reading and researching about labor than I did about actually being a mom! I managed to get through a 16 hour labor with no drugs or interventions of any kind so I feel pretty confident that we will be ok. And I generally know what to expect, which is what was so frightening the last time, the unexpected, the uncontrolled. I think a large part of that comfort with the unknown and unplanned is because, although it took a while to get it through my head, so much of early motherhood is about letting go of control. I know that my body knows what to do and it will tell me if something is wrong.

I am also MUCH more active this time around. Probably because I'm not working full time, so I have the time to go for walks and runs. I have been doing 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons during this pregnancy so my weight has stayed down, even though I look just as big I am about 10 pounds lighter than I was at this point in my first pregnancy. I do get a fair amount of grief about doing these races. "Is it safe?" "Doesn't it hurt the baby?" "How can you run with a belly?" Good lord people. Calm down. It is safe.  I wear a heart rate monitor to make sure my heart rate doesn't go about 165-170. I carry A LOT of water. On my long walks I carry instant ice packs to keep my body temperature down and plenty of food. I have consulted my doctor and personal trainer. I'm not running the entire race. I walk most of it, but every 1/4-1/2 mile I jog for 30-45 seconds. And as for how do you run with a belly? Pretty much the same way anyone else does. One foot in front of the other. I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I cross the finish line and I'm not going to stop unless my body tells me to. The other reason I am much more active is because I have a VERY active toddler to keep up with.

Another difference I have noted is that I showed much earlier (like, immediately) but then my belly slowed down. This baby is much less active than Callie was. I don't feel her kick much at all. Unlike Callie who I started to feel around 18 weeks and she never stopped! The only time I have felt this baby kick is during Sharks games (I think she is a fan!) and after a workout. I am hopeful that this means she will be more mellow than her big sister. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment