Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Mama Drama Guide to Baby Gear: Updated List

Since we have more friends having their first babies in the next few months I thought I would revisit my Baby Gear list with some additions. The original post is here and I still agree with all of it! With a few additions:)

Blankets
You will use a lot of them! People love giving new parents knitted blankets which is a really nice idea and it's awesome that people want to make you something, but honestly, those blankets are pretty much the worst type of blanket to use with a new baby. They aren't terrible warm or portable (i.e. won't fit in a diaper bag) and they are just too easy for a little one to get their fingers, hands and arms stuck in between those stitches. I'm sure when the girls are older they will work just fine. But the best blankets are simple cotton, fleece or flannel blankets. I had a good friend make some gorgeous flannel blankets for both my girls and they are still my go to blankets. We got this super soft blanket this time around and we love it! Callie loves the owls and putting it on her sister:)


Diaper covers
Since we have used cloth diapers for Callie for the last two years and we are also using them for Lucia, we have a lot of these! This is one type we have a lot of made by Bummis. They aren't too expensive (comparatively speaking) and they are quite durable. They stand up to lots and lots of washings, which is a little surprsing given the velcro. The only downside is when the baby is still little (like Lucia) the bottom of the diaper cover is too bulky for their clothes. Enter the Thirsties Duo Wrap.  It has snaps on the bottom to shorten the material. Very handy!


Diaper pail
We looked at the Diaper Genie but didn't like the fact that you have to buy their brand of bags to use with them. A friend told me about the Diaper Champ and that's what we use. The only thing I don't like about it is that if you are using cloth diapers it gets full fairly fast. But you can use whatever kind of bag you want. We found a washable, reusable liner that we are using with the cloth diapers. The diaper champ seals in the odor pretty well, which is the goal:)


Wipe warmer
I didn't opt for this the first time around but figured I would give it a shot this time, especially since Callie hates getting changed. It has made diaper changes go quite a bit smoother. Wish I had bought it from day 1.  Is it something you absolutely NEED? No, but it is nice to have around.

Boppy
I wrote about the boppy last time around. I would just add that it is nice to have two. So I have one in the living room where I feed Lucia during the day and one in our bedroom where I feed her at night. That way I don't have to wake up Callie when Lucia is feeding.


Pacifier 
Callie was all about the pacifier. Lucia, so far, isn't that into them. The ones we liked for the early days are the ones by Nuk. The Soothie ones seem like a good idea because they are supposedly shaped like a nipple but it is tough for the little ones to keep them in their mouth, which is kinda the point! When they get older, my favorites are the MAM pacifiers. Good shape, super durable and fun designs.

Swing 
I wrote about the swing last time. We don't have one this time around but if I was going to have one I would opt for one that has a smaller footprint like this one. Because good god, you house is going to be taken over by baby stuff anyway, try to keep it small if you can!

Video Monitor
We had a video monitor last time, but got rid of it, because...well...we weren't necessarily planning on another baby! This time we went for the Motorola Monitor and it is amazing! I love that you can move the camera to see around the room. That will come in handy with two kids in a room when we get to that point. I also really like the two way microphone so I can talk to Callie.

Wet Bags
These are a must if you are using cloth diapers or if you are using disposables and you end up changing your little one in a place where there isn't a trash can nearby. Trust me. It happens more than you think it will!  These also come in handy for wet clothes or swimming suits.  They come in all different sizes, so if you want to keep wipes separate from diapers you can.

Nursing pads
You won't necessarily need these, but they are handy to have around just in case. I didn't really need them with Callie but I have really needed them with Lucia! They also sell reusable/washable ones if that is more up your alley.

Vaporizer
I can't even tell you how often we have used a vaporizer with Callie. Seriously. Get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment