Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Crib

The crib that we bought for Callie has been an important purchase for us. We didn't want to spend too much money on it, because we had spent so much money on her before she even showed up! So we found one that we liked at Le Target. It sat in a box for weeks. We laughed at how I was the one that noticed it was called "Serenitity" instead of "Serenity."
Finally, Bill and his friend Mike put it together. That was the "oh shit" moment for me. Because I thought to myself, "Oh shit. There is going to be a baby in that thing pretty soon!" Now, said crib is now a subject of a recall, like every other drop side crib in the country. I scoured the internet for the perfect bedding that wasn't too girly, but wasn't too neutral either. I settled on birds and I love them. We had received other bedding sets as gifts from friends, but I didn't care. I was going to buy the bedding set I had registered for and that I had my heart on for my little bird. And what happened to it? Storage. Before today there have been numerous items housed in the crib, none of which included our daughter. The attachment to the papasan swing, blankets, baby carriers, blankets, mobiles, boxes, you name it!
Today she napped in the crib for the first time, it was all of about 15 minutes, but that is totally her napping style.
We are planning to move Callie into the crib after we return from Paris. It seemed silly to do it before since we are going to be using the travel co-sleeper in Paris. Part of me is overjoyed to free up some space in our bedroom. Right now you practically have to do the limbo to get in or out of the room, let alone get into the closet. I also am looking forward to having our room be ours again. The whole house has been taken over by everything Callie, so it will be nice to have one space that is just us. But there is another part of me that hates the idea. I can't imagine not leaning over to look at her sleep, partly because I am always afraid she has stopped breathing. I watch to catch a glimpse of her chest rising and falling with her breathing and her occassional snores. And I'm sure if past experience continues, this girl isn't going to go easy. But I suppose time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment